- Sweden legalizes adoption for same-sex couples, making Sweden's registered partnership nearly identical to marriage, with the exception of right to marriage in a church.
- April 28 - Homosexuality is decriminalized in China, as the newly amended Marriage Law avoids this topic.
- May 6 - Openly gay Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn is assassinated by Volkert van der Graaf.
- May 10 - Canadian gay teenager Marc Hall wins an injunction permitting him to bring his boyfriend to his prom.
- Austria's Article 209 of the Penal Code was removed equalising the age of consent at 14.
- September 4 - Hungary - The Constitutional Court has repealed the § 199 of the penal code so the age of consent has been equal for both heterosexual and homosexual activity at 14.
- September 22 - Switzerland - Voters in the canton of Zurich voted 63% to 37% to give same-sex couples the same legal rights as married opposite-sex couples. This includes tax, inheritance, and social security benefits. These rights are only given to same-sex couples who live in Zurich canton and who register with the government, promising to live together and support each other for six months.
- November 2
- October 24 (San Francisco, California) - Harry Hay, 90, leader of the gay rights movement in the United States, co-founder of the Mattachine Society and the Radical Faeries.
- Web site for Advocate news magazine
- Google search for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender news
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at 2002 in gay rights. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with LGBT Info, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.|